Founded in 1990 by Massachusetts Institute of Technology roboticists with the vision of making practical robots a reality, iRobot has sold more than 30 million robots worldwide. The company has developed some of the world's most important robots, and has a rich history steeped in innovation. Its robots have revealed mysteries of the Great Pyramid of Giza, found harmful subsea oil in the Gulf of Mexico and saved thousands of lives in areas of conflict and crisis around the globe. iRobot inspired the first Micro Rovers used by NASA, changing space travel forever, deployed the first ground robots used by US Forces in conflict, brought the first self-navigating FDA-approved remote presence robots to hospitals, and introduced the first practical home robot with Roomba, forging a path for an entirely new category in home cleaning. With more than 30 years of leadership in the robot industry, iRobot remains committed to building robots that provide people with smarter ways to clean and accomplish more in their daily lives.
- iRobot celebrates 30 years of empowering people to do more.
- More than 30 million home robots sold worldwide.
- iRobot launches Roomba® s9+ with Clean Base™ Automatic Dirt Disposal, its most advanced robot vacuum to date.
- iRobot launches Braava jet® m6, a robot mop that tackles sticky messes in multiple rooms and large spaces.
- iRobot announces the Terra® robot mower.
- iRobot adds the Root® coding robot to its product line.
- iRobot launches Roomba® i7+ with Clean Base™ Automatic Dirt Disposal, a robot vacuum that empties itself and learns a home’s floor plan.
- iRobot launches Roomba® e5 robot vacuum.
- iRobot launches Roomba®690 and 890, extending Wi-Fi connectivity.
- iRobot acquires Sales on Demand Corporation (SODC), launching new iRobot offices in Japan.
- iRobot acquires Robopolis, its largest European distributor, opening new offices across Europe.
- More than 20 million home robots sold worldwide.
- iRobot expands its global footprint to China with the opening of a new Shanghai office.
- iRobot launches the Braava jet® mopping robot, ideal for mopping kitchens, bathrooms, and other small areas.
- iRobot launches the Roomba 980® vacuuming robot, combining intelligent visual navigation, cloud connected app control, and increased cleaning power on carpets.
- iRobot launches the Scooba® 450 floor scrubbing robot.
- iRobot launches the Roomba® 800 Series, with revolutionary AeroForce® Performance Cleaning System.
- iRobot launches the Ava™ 500 video collaboration robot.
- iRobot launches the Mirra™ 530 pool cleaning robot.
- More than 10 million home robots sold worldwide.
- iRobot acquires Evolution Robotics.
- More than 5000 defence and security robots delivered worldwide.
- iRobot develops 110 FirstLook®, a small, light, throwable UGV.
- iRobot launches the Scooba® 230 floor washing robot.
- iRobot launches the Roomba® 700 series vacuuming robots.
- iRobot celebrates 20 years of making a difference.
- iRobot co-sponsors National Robotics Week.
- iRobot helps monitor the Gulf of Mexico oil spill.
- iRobot launches the SPARK education initiative.
- iRobot expands into maritime robots.
- iRobot launches the Roomba® pet series and professional series vacuum cleaning robots.
- iRobot wins the contract to develop a LANdroid communication robot.
- iRobot launches the Create® programmable mobile robot.
- iRobot launches the Verro® pool cleaning robot.
- iRobot launches the Looj® gutter cleaning robot.
- iRobot launches the Dirt Dog® shop sweeping robot.
- iRobot launches the Scooba® floor washing robot.
- iRobot stock begins trading on the NASDAQ Stock Exchange.
- iRobot wins a contract to develop a Small Unmanned Ground Vehicle (SUGV).
- iRobot launches the Roomba® floor vacuuming robot.
- The iRobot PackBot® is deployed with US troops for the first time.
- iRobot and the National Geographic Society develop a robot that searches the Great Pyramid in Egypt.
- The iRobot PackBot® searches at the World Trade Centre after the September 11 terrorist attacks.
- iRobot wins the DARPA contract to build a tactical mobile robot, leading to the development of the iRobot PackBot®.
- iRobot develops Ariel™, a robot that detects and eliminates mines in surf zones.
- iRobot develops Genghis™, a robot designed for space exploration.
- MIT roboticists Colin Angle, Helen Greiner, and Rodney Brooks co-found iRobot.